Summary: By submitting your rhymes and illustrations you agree to allow us to share them on our social media and on this website, and on other media from time to time to promote the project. Please submit only your own/your group’s original work.
We welcome your photos and illustrations – as long as they are yours. Please don’t use photos/illustrations you find on the web, even on “creative commons” or “free to share” sites. Draw or paint a picture to go with your rhyme, or take a photo of a place in Dublin – or just a letter from a street sign or anywhere else you find one. The text alone is fine too.
You can submit on Twitter @tarryathome or @poetryireland, on facebook.com/catherineann.cullen, or by email to email@example.com
1. Alphabet Blitz for the City of Dublin is a crowd-sourced rhyming alphabet of Ireland’s capital city, with short rhymes or rhyming couplets for each letter. Entrants can submit rhymes for as many letters as they wish, or for the entire alphabet. Submitted rhymes must be the original work of the entrant.
2. Illustrated rhymes are especially welcome, with original drawings, photos, even videos. For copyright reasons, PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT PHOTOS OR ILLUSTRATIONS THAT ARE NOT YOUR OWN WORK.
3. Submissions are welcome from everyone, anywhere in the world.
4. Entries may be in English, Irish or any language spoken in Dublin.
5. The closing date for entries is Thursday 31st December 2020. Entries are welcome at any time from July 1st 2020, and will be encouraged with a one-letter prompt every Wednesday until December 23rd. These entries will be shared on social media and on abcdublin.org every week.
6. Please state your Category name in your entry – junior (primary school age), intermediate (secondary school age or under 18), individual (18 or over) or group (let us know the nature of your group – family, friends, class, etc.)
7. There is no entry fee.
8. Entries can be submitted electronically or in hard copy. Hard copy work should be printed or clearly handwritten and posted to The ABCD Project, Poet in Residence, Poetry Ireland, 11 Parnell Square, Dublin 1. Work can be submitted on Twitter to @tarryathome and @poetryireland using the hashtag #ABCDublin or #ABCBÁC, on Facebook to facebook.com/catherineann.cullen and facebook.com/poetryireland.eigseeireann/ or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Entries must not have been previously published or self-published or have won a prize in another competition.
10. There will be small prizes each month for the best entries of the month, and three overall prizes for the best alphabets after the closing date of December 31st 2020.
11. Due to the nature of submissions on social media, it will not be possible for the Poet in Residence to judge all the work anonymously. However, she will endeavour to ensure that the judging panel is not aware of the author’s name.
12. Entry implies acceptance of all the rules.
13. Entries cannot be returned – be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
14. Copyright of each entry remains with the author. However, by submitting, you grant Poetry Ireland and the Poet in Residence the right to publish on social media, online and in print, or broadcast your work (with full author/illustrator credit) for two years from July 2020.
15. The judges’ decision is final. Neither Poetry Ireland nor the Poet in Residence will enter into any correspondence regarding the final decision or individual entries.